Ferry Hall ca. 1910
Campus buildings--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Horses--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>
Six men wearing dark suits and hats sit in an open carriage pulled by two horses in front of "New" Ferry Hall, WSU Building #8. A dog sits behind the back row seat facing the camera. Built in 1892, Ferry Hall was the first large building to be constructed on campus. Designed to be am dorm, it housed men and women on separate floors. In 1897, there was a kitchen fire which got out of control and the building burned down. Another building was constructed in the same place two years later designed by G. W. Bullard. The new building with its Georgian facade would keep the name (sometimes called New Ferry Hall) and also serve as a dorm. The building remained until the mid 70's, when it was taken down. A last artifact of Ferry Hall still exists in the form of the Gazebo next to Murrow Hall, which was the old bell tower.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries: <br> http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/holland/masc/masc.htm
For permission to publish please contact Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (509) 335-6691.
Original photographic prints were scanned as 300 dpi TIFF files on a Microtek 9600XL or Agfa Arcus II scanner. 72 dpi JPEG files were then added to the CONTENTdm database at the WSU Libraries.