Plat maps of Thornton and Elberton, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Files

http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/maps/image/109.jpg

Title

Plat maps of Thornton and Elberton, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Subject

Thornton (Wash.)--Maps<br>Elberton (Wash.)--Maps<br>Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Leid, John Weber<br>Oregon & Washington Railway & Navigation Co.<br>Washington & Idaho Railroad<br>Oregon Railway & Navigation Co.<br>Oregon Evaporated Company<br>Newberry, W. Allen

Description

1 map: col., 44 x 35 cm. <br>Plat maps from the Whitman County cities of Thornton and Elberton.<br>Scale 400'=1"<br>Elberton, named after Elbert, the deceased son of plat filer Sylvester M. Wait in 1886, began as the site of a mill. Located 12 miles northeast of Colfax, the Palouse River runs directly through the town. Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections at WSU has the manuscript history of the town and one of it's earliest settlers, Mr. John Weber Leid. Sites shown on this map are discussed in Leid's manuscript, including the Oregon, Washington Railway and Navigation Depot (O.W.R.& N.) built in 1888, the post office, run by Mr. Joe McCoy, and the two room school house. The school, built in 1890, soon had an addition of two more rooms, but with the economic success that came with the railroad, the town grew so fast that a store was rented downtown for classrooms.<br>Elberton's main economy was the saw mill, but there was also a flour mill, which is shown on this map. Another interesting business in town was the Oregon Evaporated Co. owned by W. Allen Newberry. Begun in 1902, the company owned the distinction of being the largest prune dehydrator in the world. <br> Thornton, begun around the same time, was a stop on the "Pleasant Valley Line" of the Washington & Idaho Railroad, a subsidiary of the Oregon Railway & Navigation Co. The Pleasant Valley Line ran from Winona to Seltice--stopping in Thornton.

Creator

Anderson Map Company.

Source

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries

Publisher

Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company

Date

1910

Contributor

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections

Rights

Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691

Relation

Is part of Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Maps<br>Plats

Identifier

WSU 106

Coverage

United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Thornton
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Elberton

Citation

Anderson Map Company., “Plat maps of Thornton and Elberton, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company,” Digital Exhibits, accessed April 20, 2024, http://digitalexhibits.libraries.wsu.edu/items/show/1654.