Bohler Gym Construction May 25, 1927
Campus buildings--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Bohler Gym--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Gymnasiums--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Building construction--Washington (State)--Pullman
A scene looking west of Bohler Gym, WSU Building #11, during the early stages of construction. Steel reinforced wooden frames for the poured concrete foundation surround the structure. To the left of the image, a lifting tower is complete. In the background is College Hill with the water tower, once located on Colorado Ave, visible. Named for Fred Bohler, the nationally known WSU Coach and Director of Athletics who devoted forty-two years to physical education and sports at WSU. Bohler gym has played a significant role in the history of Cougar sports. Housing a basketball court, swimming pool handball courts and offices, it still has an important role in WSU athletics. This massive red brick building is ornamented with terra cotta and cut stone. The Renaissance Revival window surrounded with alternating plain and broken pediments are surprisingly opulent. The original entrance with sculptural decoration faced west. The architect, Stanley Smith, was the second University architect. Between 1924 and 1947, he completed fourteen major buildings at WSU. Bohler was the first of the three athletics buildings he built on the north side of the campus including Hollingbery Fieldhouse, and Smith Gym.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries: <br> http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/holland/masc/masc.htm
For permission to publish please contact Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (509) 335-6691.
Original photographic prints were scanned as 300 dpi TIFF files on a Microtek 9600XL or Agfa Arcus II scanner. 72 dpi JPEG files were then added to the CONTENTdm database at the WSU Libraries.