Carpenter Hall ca. 1916
Campus buildings--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Carpenter Hall--Washington (State)--Pullman<br>Weaver, Rudolf
A view of the south-west facade of Carpenter Hall, WSU Building #20. Carpenter Hall was one of seven buildings designed by the first University architect and first chair of the Architecture Department, Rudolph Weaver. As a cost-saving measure, it was planned as a twin to Wilson Hall, but because of wartime building restrictions, neither was completed until 1926. First known as Mechanic Arts building, it was named in 1949 after H. V. Carpenter, the first dean of the College of Mechanic Arts and Engineering. A grand entry at second floor level as at Wilson Hall was planned but never executed. Presumably, the steep slope to the west and its orientation way from the rest of the campus made it impractical. The structure contains Georgian and Classic Revival styles. This image predates the construction of Spokane St.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries: <br> http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/holland/masc/masc.htm
For permission to publish please contact Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (509) 335-6691.
Original photographic prints were scanned as 300 dpi TIFF files on a Microtek 9600XL or Agfa Arcus II scanner. 72 dpi JPEG files were then added to the CONTENTdm database at the WSU Libraries.