Plat maps of Hooper, Chambers and La Crosse, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Files

http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/maps/image/105.jpg

Title

Plat maps of Hooper, Chambers and La Crosse, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Subject

Hooper (Wash.)--Maps<br>Chambers (Wash.)--Maps<br>La Crosse (Wash.)--Maps<br>Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Shobe, Harding<br>Oregon Railway and Navigation Co.<br>Riparia--Washington (State)<br>Dunlor<br>Granite<br>Palouse River

Description

1 map: col, 43 x 30 cm.<br>Plat maps from the Whitman County cities of Hooper, Chambers and La Crosse scale 400'=1"<br>Chambers has been described as an "odd-shaped town", consisting of one to five block streets. The shortest street, Granite, ran along beside the Northern Pacific Railroad. The name Granite was at times given to the school district as well. (The school, begun on Drain Street in 1893, consolidated with Pullman in 1938). Chambers did not grow much and the post office--started in 1901--closed down just five years later.<br>The small town of Hooper was named after early settler, Albert J. Hooper. However, he never owned land in the actual town, set up by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Co. He was honored by them because he had a good ranch nearby. The real founders of Hooper, the McGregor Brothers, came in 1888. They worked hard and eventually opened a store there in 1900 that remained in business for a long time after. Hooper lies on the east bank of the Palouse River.<br>LaCrosse began as a post office station in 1892 and was at that time known as Dunlor. There are two stories regarding the naming of the town. The Oregon Railway & Navigation Co. built a line from Riparia to LaCrosse in 1888. One of its surveyors hailed from LaCrosse, Wisconsin and so named the town. Another story says that the town is named after its numerous cross streets. Whichever story is correct, in 1896, the Post Office name was changed to match the town. The town did not incorporate until 1917, but chose 1899 settler, Harding Shobe, as its first mayor. Shobe land is shown on the map.

Creator

Anderson Map Company.

Source

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries

Publisher

Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company

Date

1910

Contributor

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections

Rights

Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691

Relation

Is part of Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Maps<br>Plats

Identifier

WSU 102

Coverage

United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Hooper
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Chambers
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--La Crosse

Citation

Anderson Map Company., “Plat maps of Hooper, Chambers and La Crosse, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company,” Digital Exhibits, accessed April 15, 2024, http://digitalexhibits.libraries.wsu.edu/items/show/1650.